Are You Suitable for Bariatric Surgery?
If you are interested in undergoing Laparoscopic Bariatric (obesity) surgery, talk to your GP to see if you may be a suitable candidate. People who are suitable for these procedures generally need to meet the following criteria:
- Aged 18 years or above
- Have a BMI of 40 or above, or 35 with obesity-related diseases
- Not be pregnant at the time of the procedure
- Not drink alcohol excessively
- Have made serious attempts to lose weight before and failed
- Not suffering from an illness that has caused excessive weight gain
- Be prepared to commit to a long-term, significant change in eating habits and lifestyle, including continued monitoring by a specialist.